With Texas' population growing by more than 400,000 people each year, the Texas Department of Transportation must make sure that demands for our state's transportation system are met. The Texas Transportation Plan (TTP) 2040 will address the statewide planning requirements under the current federal surface transportation act – Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21), and Title 43, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 16. It will promote TxDOT's Strategic Plan goals and build on the progress made toward goals identified in TxDOT's 2035 Statewide Long-Range Plan and Texas Rural Transportation Plan.
As the foundation for TxDOT's first performance-based, multimodal transportation plan, a comprehensive statewide analysis of transportation demand to capacity across various modes will allow decision-makers to better manage transportation assets, develop performance measures and targets to prioritize needs, and align resources for optimizing system performance.
The analysis includes:
- A descriptive inventory of the existing system elements and current usage, including highways and bridges, public transportation, aviation facilities, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, intelligent transportation systems, freight rail, water port facilities, pipelines and freight corridors;
- A description of future infrastructure and service needs to improve system performance;
- A projection of future funding available to meet projected needs;
- A description of the existing funding sources and an analysis of alternative and innovative sources to address the shortfall in traditional funding; and
- The identification of performance goals, measures, and targets to maximize financial investments to improve multimodal system performance statewide.
The TTP 2040 was developed through a collaborative process that involves multimodal stakeholders including metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), cities, counties, transit agencies, stakeholder advocates, private companies and the travelling public. Your continuous and meaningful participation in the planning process and input is essential to developing the long-term goals and, ultimately, to realizing the future you envision for the Texas transportation system.